Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Art for the Homeless

                             Photo: © Shaina Oliphant

Atlanta has been placed on The National Coalition for the Homeless' Top 5 Meanest Cities list multiple times.  The city seems more concerned with removing the homeless from the eyes of its convention crowds and business investors than providing any meaningful solutions to the problem.  At one point, the mayor actually publically declared that "feeding the hungry is a health hazard." 

It's rough being homeless anywhere, but especially in this city.  That's why it's so good to hear about people like Anita Beaty, the executive director of the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless.  She recently combined her love of art with her dedication to helping those in need by transforming a homeless shelter into an art studio for the homeless. 

Anyone who shows some artisitic ability and stays drug-free is given free studio space.  The homeless artists get to keep 80% of the proceeds from the sale of their art and the remaining 20% goes back to the shelter.  This place has been a godsend for people who can barely find a place to sleep for the night, much less a safe place to foster their creative expression.  It has even helped a few people earn enough money to get off the streets for good.

If you'd like to help out this wonderful cause, please click here and donate whatever you can.


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Shaina! What a great way to support the homeless while giving them hope and nurturing their talents.