Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Take a Look. It's In a Book.


Am I the only one out there who watched Reading Rainbow as a kid?  It came on PBS right after Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and every episode was about the theme from a certain book.  The whole purpose of the show was to encourage children to read.

The show was cancelled a couple of years ago after a near 30 year run.  This made me a little nostalgic and kind of worried that this was yet another example of how kids these days didn't appreciate literature as an important art form.  You would think that the show's host for all those years, LeVar Burton (a/k/a Kunta Kinte from Roots) would share my concerns, right?  Not so much.  Here are a few hilarious quotes from an article he wrote after learning about the show's cancellation:

  • "May that godforsaken show burn in hell."
  • "Fact is, I couldn't care less whether kids learned to read.  There, I said it."
  • "All I've done for 26 years is drive to work, clock in, read my lines, clock out, go home, and cry myself to sleep."
  • "Every day I went to work hoping that the studio had burned down."
  • "Do you know what's at the end of the 'Reading Rainbow'?  A giant crock of shit, that's what."
You can read this very entertaining article in its entirety here.

No comments:

Post a Comment